1. Check if the Project has a Certificate of Registration and a License to Sell.

You should ask the broker/agent of the owner/developer if the project is registered and has a License issued by HLURB:

- This can be verified at the On-Line Queries/HLURB website ( and Communications Technology Division-ICTD, 9272731 for the list of projects covered with Certificate of Registration and License to Sell as well as any encumbrance thereon, e.g. Cease and Desist Order, Suspension of License, etc.

- or you may visit the nearest HLURB Regional Office for this information (with this flyer are the names and addresses of HLURB Regional Officers).

2. Visit the subdivision/condominium, where the house and lot or condo unit to be purchased is located to know its natural topography, viz: susceptibility to landslide, flooding, erosion, etc.

If the project is covered with a License to Sell, you may already enter into a Contract with the owner/developer. However, there are things which must be checked:

a. The date of completion of the project as indicated in the License to Sell;
b. If the property is mortgaged, it should have a Clearance to Mortgage from the HLURB;
c. The facilities and amenities represented in the advertisement flyers/brochures are in accordance with the approved subdivision/condominium plan on file with HLURB.


1. Check if the broker/agent is registered with HLURB/DTI;
2. Verify if the property has not been sold to other buyers with the Register of Deeds;
3. Check into your source of income whether you can afford to pay the equity and the monthly installments;
4. Check if the materials of the house or condo unit conform with the development standards and approved construction specifications submitted to HLURB;
5. Check whether the developer would pay for the water and electric meters, the subdivision perimeter fence, etc;.
6. Check who would eventually operate the subdivision/condominium water system.


1. Don`t sign any blank form of the Contract;
2. Read thoroughly all the contents of the Contract more especially the terms and conditions in fine print;
3. Secure a copy of the Contract and all other documents that you have signed;
4. Make sure that the Contract is registered by the owner/developer with the Register of Deeds;
5. Pay directly to the owner/developer or the marketing agent authorized by said owner/developer only; and
6. Ask for an official receipt on all payments for your file.


1. Inspect the unit if it complies with the approved plan and agreed specifications;
2. Check if the promised/advertised amenities and facilities of the project are complete.


The two most pressing questions an excited or anxious buyer would ask are:

1. When will the project be completed?
2. What are the facilities and amenities that go with my purchase of a unit?

The project must be completed within one year from the date of the issuance of a License to Sell for the project. The HLURB may, however, fix a different period considering, among others, the size of the project, the nature of the development works to be undertaken, the proposed program of development of the owner/developer, etc.

The facilities and amenities included in a completed project and which go with the purchase of a lot or unit are those facilities, improvements, infrastructures, etc., to include water and lighting facilities.

These facilities which the owner or developer is obliged to construct are:

1. Those offered and indicated in the subdivision or condominium plans as approved by the HLURB, and
2. Those promised and reflected in brochures, prospectus, printed matters, letters or in any form of advertisement e.g. radio, newspaper, television, internet or other forms of communication.

This is so provided in Section 20 of PD 957 which states:

SECTION 20. Time of Completion. - Every owner or developer shall construct and provide the facilities, improvements, infrastructure and other forms of development, including water supply and lightning facilities, which are offered and indicated in the approved subdivision or condominium plans, brochures, prospectus, printed matters, letters or in any form of advertisement, within one year from the date of the issuance of the license for the subdivision or condominium project or such other period of time as may be fixed by the Authority (now HLURB per EO 648).

Roseville Subd., San Jose City
Sto. Tomas, Nueva Ecija, Philippines